Entry Rules and info: For a pdf version click on this link.
Official Rules for the Continuing Challenge Photo Contest
This contest is intended to be a fun and stimulating event with a light touch of competition. This competition is designed for non-professional photographers in order to allow the broadest possible participation by attendees to the workshop.
Who can participate
- Any registered student, instructor, or exhibitor may submit a maximum of two photographs.
- Members of the Continuing Challenge Committee and/or Board are not eligible to participate.
- Professional Photographers are not eligible to participate.
Hazardous Materials Response Photo
(Taken during an actual Emergency Response to a HazMat Incident)
- First Place will possibly be placed in select Continuing Challenge publications, such as: the next issue of the Continuing Challenge Catalog.
- All entries must depict an actual hazardous materials incident, which has occurred within the last 5 years. Incidents must be real, not simulated.
- All entries must be completed online by the close of business on August 15 of the current year.
- Entrants will complete the online entry form with the required information, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, and photo caption. Your signature on the entry form certifies that you have read, understand and agree to the terms of the competition as listed here. The entry form is available on line at hazmat.org.
- Each entry must comply with the following requirements:
- Photographs must be in digital format.
- Fish-eye lenses are acceptable.
- Winners will be notified via email or telephone.
- The Continuing Challenge may at its absolute discretion either disqualify all the entrant’s entries or select entries to go forward for judging and reject the remainder.
If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Rules without any compensation.
If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of 18, the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Upon the Continuing Challenge’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of the Continuing Challenge’s request) a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the photograph entry, authorizing the Continuing Challenge and its licensees (“Authorized Parties”) to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Workshop and promotion of the Workshop, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Contest and selection of an alternate winner.
Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation.
- In round one, each judge in a panel selected by the Continuing Challenge Committee will select ten (10) entries from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”): (1) Creativity 30%; (2) Photographic quality 20% and (3) Relevance to the Category Title 50%. The entries selected in round one will proceed to round two as needed.
- In round two, the Judges will collectively select a First Place Winner based on the above stated judging criteria. In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be resubmitted to the Judges for a re-judging between the tied entries alone. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score in the Relevance criteria will be declared the winner.
Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Limitation of Liability
By entering this Contest, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Continuing Challenge and its sponsors, partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder. The Continuing Challenge assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms.
Entries void if the Continuing Challenge determines the photograph to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
By entering, entrants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final and binding with respect to all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) the entrant agrees that Continuing Challenge may use the winning photographs and each winner’s name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except where prohibited by law).
All federal, state/provincial/territorial, and local taxes, fees and surcharges and taxes (whether foreign or domestic, and including income, sales, and import taxes) on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners.
In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize is/are ineligible, cannot be traced or does/do not respond within five (5) days to a winner notification, or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and the Continuing Challenge, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
The Continuing Challenge reserves the right to verify the validity and originality of any entry and/or entrant (including an entrant’s identity and address) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Official Rules or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by the Continuing Challenge to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
By entering the contest, entrants grant the Continuing Challenge a royalty-free, world- wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any Continuing Challenge purpose, including, but not limited to advertising and promotion of the workshop and its Web site, exhibition, and commercial products. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit, when possible. The Continuing Challenge will not be required to pay any consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
The contest coordinator has the authority to cancel the contest in the event there are two or fewer qualifying entries.
Entrants need not be present to win.
The winning photographs will be displayed during select portions of the Continuing Challenge Workshop. The location and dates of display will be available from the Workshop office (usually in Registration the week of the Workshop).
Contact the Photo Contest Coordinator at [email protected]